January 22, 2010

How To Etch Glass

I recently googled how to etch designs onto glass and to my delight, the instructions looked very simple! So I decided to give it a whirl and monogram the letter "c" for Caroline on a glass candle jar that I already owned.

Here's what I used (all of these supplies can be found at any craft store):
-Clear glass surface
-Shaped paper cutter
-Vinyl that is sticky on one side
-Petite paint brush
-Etching solvent

Once I had my supplies, I used my paper cutter to cut a "c" out of the vinyl so that it created a negative space. Naturally I have a paper cutter that is serious business (haha, of course I do), but you can find small and cheap paper cutters at any craft store. I placed the sticky side of the vinyl on the clean glass surface and generously applied the etching solvent in the negative space with a paint brush. I let the candle sit undisturbed for about 15 minutes.


After 15 minutes, which felt like an eternity since I was so excited, I washed off the solvent with cold water. I anxiously peeled off the sticky vinyl and washed the glass surface again under cold water. It's hard to tell in the bottom picture, but my etched "c" turned out GREAT. Yay, I am so excited for myself that this project was so easy the first time around! Imagine how much better my etched items will turn out after a little practice. There's a weekend project for you to try for yourself, have fun and good luck!



Photobucket
 
Blog Design by: Simply Yours Designs