March 21, 2010

Modern Twist on Victorian Decor

As promised, here is my Victorian silhouette wall collage. I opted for basic frames rather than ornate frames to modernize the antique look.  I love the idea of painting the center mat a bold color. It anchors the collage and makes the black silhouettes really pop. I purchased a Benjamin Moore bright pink paint sample (only $3.50) for the project.
I also used the pink paint in another unexpected place to further modernize my Victorian room. Across from my silhouette collage is an antique Victorian vanity that I purchased for almost nothing. The piece needed a complete overhaul (new paint, new upholstery, new hardware etc.) After I redid the vanity, I decided to add a pop of pink to the inside top of the vanity.
The splashes of pink are few in my mostly Victorian room, but they are fun, unexpected and add a modern twist. The paint samples are the way to go for small simple projects and remember that you can always repaint if your decor changes. I just love my little Victorian sanctuary and since I live in New York, the modern twist was a must!


Photobucket
 
Blog Design by: Simply Yours Designs